Documents You Need To Apply For Marriage-Based Green Card

A marriage-based green card allows you to live in the USA with your spouse if they are already a resident in America. As much as you want to be with your spouse, the US immigration office also wants it. The only thing you need to take care of is gathering the right documents for the process. 

Applying for a green card is no simple process. You require various types of legal documents. If there is even one document missing, your application might get delayed or rejected. Hiring a green card attorney Dallas can help you prepare your documents and avoid errors. 

Documents you need to apply for a marriage-based green card

  • Birth certificate. 

When you apply for a marriage-based green card, you must show your birth certificate. If you already have it with you, you are one step closer to your aim. However, there is no need to worry if you do not have it. You won’t have to submit or show your birth certificate immediately when you apply. You may start the application process and then work on creating a birth certificate. 

  • Marriage certificate. 

This is an obvious one. If you apply for a marriage-based green card, you obviously need to show your marriage certificate as proof of your relationship with your spouse. Your marriage certificate shows that your marriage is legalized in your native country. If you do not have the certificate, you can still apply for the green card and arrange for it while you make progress. 

  • Financial documents. 

Every spouse sponsoring their marital partner to bring them into the US must show evidence of financial stability. The sponsoring spouse must show that they have enough income to support themselves and their spouse in the USA financially. 

  • Proof of the sponsor’s citizenship or permanent residence. 

If your spouse is sponsoring you, they must provide evidence that they are a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States. This is because if they are not, then they cannot sponsor you in the first place. In order to prove citizenship, one must provide the following documents. 

  • Birth certificate
  • Certificate of citizenship
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Valid (unexpired) U.S. passport
  • Consular report of birth abroad

  • Proof of entering the US lawfully. 

If your spouse is sponsoring you to live in the US, you must prove that you have entered the country lawfully and have maintained lawful status. In order to prove this, you need to show your travel records and copies of your admission stamp and visa in your passport. If your travel records have been stolen, destroyed, or lost, contact an attorney in Dallas to understand your options. 

Author Image
Coral Lasalle